Rachel helps clients understand and shape the regulatory process as they introduce new technologies into their businesses and onto the market. She helps technology and media companies, carriers and manufacturers comply with and develop FCC regulations related to accessibility, hearing aid compatibility, equipment authorization and marketing. She also guides clients with emerging legal and policy issues before the FTC, FAA, PTO and other agencies related to the Internet of Things, drones, privacy, consumer protection and trademark. Rachel counsels clients on the clearance of trademarks and the prosecution of federal trademark applications. In law school, she counseled artists seeking help on trademark issues as an extern at the NY Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts and learned trademark law from the renowned scholar Jane Ginsberg. Having been an in-house attorney, Rachel appreciates the pressures in-house counsel face and leverages her experience into exceptional client service.
Rachel is the Chair of the WBK Women’s Initiative.
- Assisted clients in navigating the equipment certification rules to preserve confidentiality until product launch, import pre-certified devices for customer evaluation and operation, understand whether product modifications require new authorizations, and develop compliance plans in accordance with consent decrees.
- Advocated for the wireless and consumer technology industries in FCC rulemakings concerning, among other issues, equipment pre-sales, increasing available spectrum for commercial use, accessible user interfaces, advanced communications services, and hearing-aid compatibility (HAC).
- Advised clients on complying with the FCC’s accessible telecommunications, advanced communications services, HAC, and telecommunications relay services rules.
- Assisted clients incorporating UAS (drones) into their operations navigate the changing federal, state, and local legal landscape; drafted comments on FAA rulemakings, crafted compliance plans for broadcasters supplementing news-copters with drones, stewarded UAS manufacturers through FCC equipment authorization requirements, and analyzed dozens of federal, state, and local proposals to regulate UAS and UAS operations.
- Assisted clients in clearing proposed trademark and service marks as well as preparing and filing trademark and service mark applications
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Communications Law (2021-2023)
- Co-author,| FCC Proposes Revised Equipment Authorization Rules to Benefit Manufacturers and Consumers March 22, 2021
- The New FAA Rules Signal Takeoff for Drone Startups, 1776 Blog, 7/20/16
- Co-author, Don’t Ruin a Perfect Evening – Get the Appropriate Licenses for Radio and TV in Restaurants and Bars, Landslide – American Bar Assoc. Section of Intellectual Property Law Magazine, September 2016
- Co-author, FAA Registration is the Newest Obstacle for Startups Using Drones, 1776 Blog, 1/8/16
- Using Drones for TV News – What are the Legal Issues?, Broadcast Law Blog, 11/11/15
- Co-author, Will Drones Soon Become an Effective Tool for Broadcasters?, Broadcast Law Blog, 3/13/15
- Co-author, “When Birds Make Towers Their Home Sweet Home,” AGL Magazine, June 2015.
- Co-author, “Sharing Accountability to Create a Cybersecurity Risk Framework,” The CIP Report, vol. 12, no. 10 (2014).
- A Statutory Rebuff to the Idea of “Director’s Copyright”, The Dramatist, the publication of the Dramatists Guild of America, May 2010.
- International Travel Tips: Acquiring Translation and Adaptation Rights to Works Created Outside the U.S., The Dramatist, November 2009.
Speeches and Presentations
- “Private Sector Perspectives on Accessibility,” FCBA Diversity Committee Program – Global Accessibility Awareness Day, Panelist, May 2022
- FCBA Diversity Pipeline Program, Lecturer, March 2022
- FCBA CLE on Drone Technology, Panelist, September 2018
- “Cable Consolidation: Antitrust and the FCC,” Second Annual Fordham Law Entertainment Law Symposium, Moderator, March 2016
- “Drones and Utilities: Policy and Regulations,” Kinetic webinar series, co-presenter with Mark Wiranowski, February 2016
- FCBA CLE on Navigating the FCC’s Accessibility Rules, Panelist, December 2015
Pro Bono and Volunteer Projects
- Secretary, Board of Directors of the World Institute on Disability
- Deputy Treasurer, Board of Trustees of the FCBA Foundation
- Director of Religious Affairs and Member, Liturgy Committee, Congregation Bet Mishpachah (edited an LGBTQ+ inclusive Shabbat prayer book (2018) and a High Holidays prayer book (2021))