Clients look to Mark Wiranowski for sound corporate and commercial counsel that makes good business sense. Whether on a complex transaction or a company’s first seed financing, he brings nuanced legal advice, an eye for strategy and a drive to get the deal done. Mark focuses on the energy, communications and information technology industries, representing a wide range of companies and investors in financings, mergers and acquisitions, project development, joint ventures, commercial transactions, infrastructure and technology transactions and licensing. Emerging companies, including those dealing with the Internet of Things, cybersecurity, smart grid and energy, communications technologies, industrial solutions, retail, sustainability and “as-a-service” come to Mark for his expertise.
Mark draws on a diverse wealth of professional experience – in finance, consulting, executive leadership training, non-profit development and even delinquent youth programs – to help him understand the business and interpersonal contexts for clients’ legal needs. It is why clients seek him out to handle novel transactions with complex features, including large capital investment, regulatory overlays, business and technology innovations, multiple parties and long-term relationships and assets.
- Represented an investor-owned utility in a build-transfer of 60 MW wind project
- Represented the unregulated affiliate of an investor-owned utility in acquisition of 80 MW repowered wind project
- Represented an investor-owned utility in a unique long-term electric service arrangement with its largest industrial customer
- Represented an investor-owned utility in a solar-battery-microgrid project and a distributed battery project
- Represented several large technology companies in negotiation of power purchase agreements for behind-the-meter solar facilities, both ground- and roof-mount
- Represented large telecommunications company in multiple energy agreements, including virtual power purchase agreements, collaboration with solar developer, collaboration with home energy management vendor, and REC purchase agreements
- Represented power marketer in negotiation of electric all requirements supply agreement for rural electric cooperative
- Represented developer in negotiating agreements for multiple behind-the-meter gas or combined heat and power facilities
- Represented developer in analysis of regulatory changes in organized market and opportunity to provide bilateral energy and capacity
- Represented large spectrum holder in negotiating development and supply agreements for network buildout
- Represented infrastructure company for multiple right of way and pole attachment agreements with municipalities and utilities in multiple states
- Represented private equity investor in proposed cell tower and fiber-to-the-home investments
- Assessed easement rights, including both existing law and state legislative initiatives, for electric association interested in providing commercial communications services
- Represented technology company in multiple agreements for obtaining and providing supplementary data to public safety answering points (911)
- Represented multiple equipment manufacturers in developing consumer-facing terms of service and warranty terms
- Represented technology company in commercial license agreement with mobile virtual network operator
- General corporate and commercial
- Represented dozens of emerging companies in venture capital and angel equity financings
- Represented many emerging companies in company sales, including acquisitions greater than $1B
- Represented buyer in complex purchase of investor-owned property with installment, reversion and limited development features
- Represented multiple emerging companies in spin-outs of a portion of the business
- Represented companies in commercial transactions involving technology licensing, product development, data licensing and use, branding, joint marketing and sales, manufacturing, distribution and agriculture development
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Recognized in 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Communications Law
- Colorado Super Lawyers (2017-2020)
- “A Good Time to Double Down and Data Analytics and Network Capabilities,” Mark Wiranowski. Published in the Utilities Telecom Council Journal, Q4 2015.
- “Big Data: Opportunities and Constraints For Gas Utilities,” Mark Wiranowski and Susan Bergles. Presented at the American Gas Association Legal Forum, July 20, 2015.
- “Competitive Smart Grid Pilots: A Means to Overcome Incentive and Informational Problems” by Mark Wiranowski. (2012) Colorado Journal on Telecommunications and High Technology Law
Speeches and Presentations
- “Renewable Energy Contracts Workshop,” Kinetic workshop series, Nashville, TN, November 29-30, 2017
- “Renewable Energy Contracts Workshop,” Kinetic workshop series, Portland, OR, July 12, 2017
- “Renewable Energy Contracts Clinic,” course instructor, Golden, CO, October 13, 2016.
- “Drones and Utilities: Building the Business Case for Utilities,” Kinetic webinar series, panel moderator (with panelists from Exelon, San Diego Gas & Electric and PPL Electric Utilities), February 25, 2016.
- “Drones and Utilities: Policy and Regulations,” Kinetic webinar series, co-presenter with Rachel Wolkowitz, February 18, 2016.
- “Innovation on the Electric Grid,” moderator of panel at Denver Startup Week, October 2, 2015. Panelists included Xcel Energy, RES Americas, NREL Energy Systems Integration, Spirae, Vision Ridge Partners.