Chuck is one of the country’s foremost experts on all aspects of federal and state universal service programs. Chuck had a leadership role at the FCC in the implementation of the universal service provisions of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Since joining WBK in 2001, he has helped clients craft policy recommendations in every universal service rulemaking at the FCC and in several states. He also fields compliance questions from clients on universal service contribution requirements, E-rate funding, Connect America Fund (“CAF”), Mobility Fund, and other issues.
Innovative companies operating on the ever-evolving line between communications services and technology also come to Chuck for help in ascertaining whether and how FCC and state communications regulatory requirements affect their businesses.
Chuck is an active member of the Federal Communications Bar Association and has served as a Co-Chair of its Wireline Practice Committee and State and Local Practice Committee. He serves on the Board of the LGBT Technology Partnership. He also represents several clients on a pro bono basis in political asylum cases on referral from Whitman Walker Legal Services of Washington, DC.
- Represented major wireless carriers and large trade association in FCC proceeding regarding reform of Lifeline program.
- Advanced the interests of small and mid-sized wireless carriers in FCC proceeding regarding development of Mobility Fund universal service program.
- Obtained favorable outcome for major satellite broadband provider in FCC proceeding on development of Connect America Fund Phase II universal service reverse auction rules.
- Advised a major CRM software developer on regulatory implications of incorporating voice calling capabilities into software platform.
- Advised major user of toll-free numbers on FCC proceeding on allocating toll-free numbers through competitive bidding.
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Recognized in 2021 Best Lawyers for Communications Law (2016-2021)
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer (2016-2020)
- Martindale-Hubble BV Rating