John has a wealth of experience that he applies to help clients achieve their business objectives. For more than 30 years he has represented telecom, wireless and media companies and trade associations before the FCC and state public utilities commissions, as well as before federal and state courts.
Before joining the firm in 2015, John spent 15 years at Verizon where as Deputy General Counsel he led a team of attorneys representing the company on a broad range of federal and state policy and regulatory matters, including compliance. Based on his long experience as an in-house attorney, John is attuned to how companies need to address and resolve legal issues, and seeks to find solutions to meet those needs through efficient, practical advice and representation. He has counseled clients on how to grow their business consistent with the legal frameworks governing the communications industry.
John’s areas of expertise include network deployment, federal spectrum policy, spectrum auctions, and federal and state regulation of telecom services, including accessibility, antenna and tower siting and zoning, billing, RF radiation, telemarketing, and 911 requirements. He also has negotiated numerous business transactions and secured required regulatory approvals.
- Represented a communications infrastructure provider in its successful petition to the FCC to limit governmental siting fees.
- Represented a wireless industry association in securing licensing, auction and service rules for its members to use new spectrum bands.
- Assisted clients in setting up and maintaining regulatory compliance programs encompassing the Communications Act, National Environmental Policy Act, National Historic Preservation Act, and agency rules implementing those statutes.
- Secured FCC approvals for the transfer of several hundred spectrum licenses between wireless providers.
- Advised clients on participating in FCC-conducted auctions of spectrum and compliance with auction rules.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers for Communications Law (2020-2023)