Clients turn to David for help with a variety of regulatory issues before the FCC, particularly for his expertise on media regulation and accessibility issues impacting individuals with disabilities. He is a regular speaker at communications conferences and industry events and has written numerous articles on FCC issues.
For 25 years, David has coordinated the purchase and sale of numerous radio and television stations, and has helped telecommunications companies, industry associations, broadcasters, educational institutions and others with FCC compliance matters and advocacy in regulatory proceedings, such as those related to new technologies, media ownership, and spectrum allocations. David also advises voice and data providers on issues related to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS) for the deaf and hard of hearing, including Internet-based Video Relay Services (VRS) and IP Captioned Telephone Service (IP CTS), and otherwise helps clients with all of their FCC-related needs.
- Primary counsel for numerous radio and television station purchases and sales
- Comprehensive guidance on FCC compliance issues for broadcasters and telecommunications clients
- Washington counsel for the Georgia Association of Broadcasters and other industry associations
- Individually recommended in Legal 500
- Associate Member, Association of Federal Communications Consulting Engineers
- Co-Chair, Federal Communications Bar Association’s Mass Media Practice Committee, 2006-2009, 2010-2011, 2017-2018
- Co-Chair, Federal Communications Bar Association’s Video Programming & Distribution Committee, 2012-2014
- David O’Connor and other members of the Broadcast Practice have published a 2022 Broadcasters’ Regulatory Calendar.
- David O’Connor and David Oxenford have published a Political Broadcasting Guide
- Contributing editor, NAB Legal Guide to Broadcast Law and Regulation (6th ed. 2014)
- Co-author of A Broadcaster’s Guide to Washington Issues, TV NewsCheck
- Editor for www.broadcastlawblog.com
Speeches and Presentations
Regular speaker at industry events, including the NAB Show, Media Financial Management Conferences and CFO Roundtable, and state broadcast association conventions