Best known for his advocacy in front of Public Utility Commissions and Legislatures, Michael has spent the better part of the past twenty years shaping the Legislative and regulatory landscape for tech companies in multiple western states. Fascinated by ideation, Michael relishes finding the elegantly simple concept and explaining the motivations behind why things are the way they are. Michael enjoys taking the world we all know and turning it around so we can view it from a different angle to better understand what motivates his allies and opponents. What separates Michael is that he can sort through the clutter and find the best path towards a resolution. This perspective allows Michael to assist his clients in seeing patterns and play out other various scenarios while others merely see clutter.
Mike currently serves as the President of the Colorado Cable Telecommunications Association, is a Founding Board Member (former Chair) of the Internet Safety Foundation and a Board Member (former Chair) of the Colorado Competitive Council. A graduate of South Dakota State University, Mr. Nelson earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Economics, Public Recreation.
- Directed the regulatory strategy and activities for a major CLEC across the western states
- Created and managed multiple third party groups to assist in advocacy for client efforts.
- Negotiated, at the time, the largest economic development incentive package in Colorado history
- Managed the transition of the existing traditional circuit switched phone service to VoIP with a dozen Public Utility Commissions.
- Drafted and lobbied legislation deregulating IP-enabled services in Colorado
- Secured tax credits for the client for filming numerous television and movie projects: Fast & Furious, Top Chef, Gold Diggers
- Governor awarded signature pen for legislative technology reform package
- US Attorney General Award for Leadership regarding National Data Retention Leadership
- Governor awarded signature pen for Rural Broadband Legislation
- US Attorney for Colorado Troy Eid presented Award for Appreciation regarding Project Safe Childhood
- Leadership positions
- Co-Chair, Colorado Broadband Deployment Board
- President, Colorado Cable Telecommunications Association
- Board Member, Colorado Competitive Council
- Founding Board Member (former Chair), Internet Safety Foundation
- Board Member, Silicon Flatirons Telecommunications Program
- Founding Board Member (Former President), North Star Academy
- Governor Appointee, Colorado Charter School Authorization Board
- Founding Board Member, Sky View Academy
- Board Member, Governor’s Innovation Council
- Community Advisory Council, Douglas County School District
- Member, Douglas County Higher Education Taskforce
- Member, Multiple Governor Transition Teams
- Coach / Coordinator, Special Olympics of South Dakota
- Clark, Tony; Gifford, Raymond; Larson, Matthew; Miller, Michael; Nelson, Michael “COVID-19 and Critical Infrastructure: An Agenda for Decisive State Regulatory Action” (WBK White Paper) (April 2020)