Anne is an administrative law expert who helps navigation, aviation, communications, and unmanned vehicle companies solve their regulatory problems. During her 35-plus year career, Anne has become a recognized expert in solving regulatory problems for aviation, communications and transportation companies. She has worked on a wide variety of agency rulemakings, enforcement matters, mergers, and financial transactions involving GPS and other device manufacturers, media firms, aviation companies, and investors. More and more, her practice focuses on complex spectrum issues and new technologies, such as unmanned aerial vehicles and “smart transportation” systems, particularly those with innovative ideas that have outpaced regulatory regimes.
A DC native, Anne draws on her experience in all three branches of government to achieve regulatory “wins” for her clients. While her work frequently focuses initially on agency-based challenges – usually before the FAA, FCC, or NTIA – she has utilized innovative legislative and judicial strategies, when necessary, to obtain the administrative results clients desire. Ms. Swanson has been repeatedly recognized by leading publications like Chambers USA, Legal 500, and Super Lawyers as one of the nation’s top administrative lawyers.
Anne is president of the DC Capital Chapter of the Association of Unmanned Vehicles International (“AUVSI”) and serves on the chapter’s Executive Committee. She is also chair of AUVSI’s National President’s Council. Anne’s previous professional activities have included service as the Federal Communications Bar Association’s (“FCBA”) president, and in many other bar and industry positions.
- Obtained only multi-market, multi-station waiver ever issued by FCC for cross-ownership of TV stations and daily newspapers
- Designed application and obtained first authorizations issued by FAA for commercial drone operations
- Assisted major GPS manufacturer in successful challenge to application that proposed nationwide operations extending satellite services through terrestrial repeaters
- Obtained early FAA waiver allowing drone flights over people
- Assisted major retailer in initial DOT/FAA regulatory approvals and initiatives needed to launch commercial drone package delivery service
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Swanson has been consistently recognized by leading publications like Chambers and Partners USA, Legal 500, and Super Lawyers (2012-2020) as one of the nation’s top administrative lawyers.