Jennifer brings sophisticated legal analysis and insightful counseling to her clients in the communications and information technology industries. While in public service working in a variety of roles including Acting General Counsel of the Federal Communications Commission and Division Chief in the FCC’s Media Bureau, Jennifer tackled a broad variety of legal issues impacting media and technology companies. She has played a role in some of the largest media transactions considered by federal regulators, and she has been on the cutting edge of legal issues while in public service and on behalf of private clients. Her expertise includes transactions, media issues, video competition, administrative law, and privacy.
Jennifer started her professional life as a social worker, working with children in the foster care system in the District of Columbia.
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Federal Communications Bar Association – Past Member, Executive Committee, Past co-chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Cable Practice Committee, Wireless Telecommunications Practice Committee, Relations with Other Bar Associations Committee, Charity Auction Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- McNicholas, Edward R. & Jennifer Tatel, Competitive Privacy: Towards a New Area of Privacy Litigation?, Privacy Tracker 1(5) (International Association of Privacy Professionals July/August 2008)
- Raul, Alan Charles, Edward R. McNicholas & Jennifer Tatel, Massive Government Data Breach Is An Information Security Wake-Up Call, Privacy & Data Security Law Journal 1(8) (July 2006)
Speeches and Presentations
- Fireside Chat with FCC General Counsel, PLI Institute on Telecommunications Policy and Regulation, December 2018
- Speaker, ABA Quarterly Privacy Update, May 2018
- Moderator, “Content Distribution in a Multiplatform World,” Representing Your Local Broadcaster, April 2018
- Speaker, The 2016 INCOMPAS Show, April 2016, “The Evolving Privacy and Cybersecurity Landscape”
- Speaker, International Association of Privacy Professionals Global Privacy Summit, March 2014, “The FCC’s Role in Mobile Privacy”
- Speaker, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP Continuing Legal Education Seminar, February 2012, “Privacy in 2012: What to Watch Regarding COPPA, Mobile Apps, and Evolving Law Enforcement and Public Policy Trends”
- Speaker, Media Financial Management Association Annual Conference 2010, “Ownership”