A wide range of wireless and wireline service providers, international carriers, submarine cable operators, IP telephony service providers, investors and communications business owners rely on Jennifer’s decades of experience in communications regulation and licensing.
Jennifer’s interest in communications started in college at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She then focused her legal studies on communications issues at the Columbus School of Law in Washington DC and its Institute for Communications Law Studies.
Jennifer now counsels her clients on a broad range of issues, including rulemakings and other proceedings before the FCC. She also helps established operators and new market entrants navigate the myriad of state and federal regulatory compliance requirements associated with starting and continuing successful businesses. Jennifer has helped secure approvals for dozens of mergers and acquisitions of telecommunications companies from the FCC and state utility commissions. She also assists clients with national security reviews conducted by the Team Telecom group of Executive Branch agencies, including the negotiation of security mitigation arrangements with Team Telecom. Jennifer also assists clients on identifying and understanding funding opportunities to facilitate the deployment and use of broadband services.
- Ms. Kostyu regularly assists clients in determining and meeting the federal and state regulatory obligations that apply to their business, including traditional wireline and wireless carriers, VoIP providers, and emerging services. Representative engagements include:
- Advised a new nationwide Mobile Virtual Network Operator on federal and state regulatory requirements and assisted with obtaining applicable FCC and state licenses and registrations.
- Assessed the regulatory status of a new communications service being deployed in the United States by an multinational mass media and information company.
- Ms. Kostyu helps clients entering into the U.S. telecommunications marketplace or acquiring existing telecommunications providers by obtaining the necessary regulatory approvals, including mitigation agreements with the Team Telecom agencies that review foreign investment for national security and other concerns. Representative engagements include:
- Assisted a European-based telecommunications company obtain Section 214 authority from the FCC and Team Telecom.
- Provided strategic advice, conducted due diligence, and obtained FCC and state regulatory approvals in connection with the acquisition of a nationwide provider of VoIP and telecommunications services by a large financial services company.
- Provided strategic advice, conducted due diligence, obtained FCC approval, and negotiated a mitigation agreement and secured Team Telecom approval for a foreign-owned carrier to acquire control of a U.S. telecommunications carrier with wireline, wireless, satellite, and submarine cable holdings.
- Provided strategic advice, conducted due diligence, obtained FCC approval in connection with the transfer of substantial wireline properties in multiple states between incumbent local exchange carriers.
- Co-Chair, Federal Communications Bar Association, New York Chapter (2010-2015)
- Note and Comment Editor, Catholic University Law Review