Bill helps clients through the maze of federal, state and international telecommunications regulations. He has broad experience with wireline and wireless communications technologies including internet-based broadband, voice, and content delivery services. Bill represents companies before the FCC, other federal agencies, and the courts. He counsels clients on the communications regulatory implications of deals, ranging from mergers and acquisitions to new business ventures. He has a special interest in helping communications companies comply with rules for making products accessible to people with disabilities.
Bill started on the technical side of the communications business as a research engineer at Bell Labs. He later moved to the FCC where, from 2002 to 2004, he was Chief of the FCC’s Wireline Competition Bureau, overseeing the development of U.S. policies on Internet service, universal service, and net neutrality. He also served in the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, developing policy recommendations on radio spectrum management and U.S. information infrastructure. Bill uses his government and technical experience so that clients meet their regulatory goals.
- Provided buy-side federal and state regulatory advice in complex purchase of VoIP provider in 2018
- Advised trade association in developing a common position with disabilities advocates on new FCC rules in 2017
- Advised purchaser on regulatory issues in sale of incumbent local exchange carrier properties in three states in 2015
- Ongoing compliance advice to equipment manufacturers and service providers on FCC disabilities access rules
- Represented industry association in obtaining first class waiver of FCC accessibility rules for specified types of consumer electronics in 2012
Honors and Leadership Positions
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Communications Law (2007-2019)
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer (2014-2020)
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers