From traditional over-the-air broadcasters to manufacturers of connected devices, Kelly has worked with media and technology companies, bringing her creative “can do” mindset and sharp legal skills to find innovative, cost-effective solutions to their regulatory, policy and intellectual property legal issues.
Kelly draws upon seven years of experience working in the FCC’s Media and Enforcement Bureaus. She routinely counsels media companies on issues relating to new station licensing, renewals, ownership and attribution, assignments and transfers, facility changes, EEO compliance, sponsorship identification and contest rules. She has also counseled technology companies on the equipment authorization and experimental licensing processes, and has helped them shape policy positions conducive to emerging technologies. She has developed particular legal expertise relating to the development of autonomous and connected vehicle technologies (i.e., connected or self-driving cars) including spectrum needs to enable vehicle-to-vehicle/vehicle-to-everything communications. Ms. Donohue is currently the ABA Advisor to the Uniform Law Commission’s Committee on Highly Automated Vehicles.
On the intellectual property side, Kelly co-manages the firm’s growing trademark practice, counseling clients on the selection and clearance of trademarks, and preparing, filing and prosecuting federal trademark and service mark applications. She also negotiates trademark licensing, settlement and consent agreements. Kelly is currently a member of INTA’s Committee on Non-Traditional Trademarks.
Ms. Donohue began her career as a professional musician and continues to perform regularly with her award-winning “kindie” rock band, Here Comes Trouble.
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Uniform Law Commission, Committee on Highly Automated Vehicles, ABA Advisor (2017-present)
- International Trademark Association, Non-Traditional Marks Committee, Member (2018-2020 term)
- Best Lawyers in America®, Ranked in Communications and Copyright Law;
- Lawline, Selected as one of Top 20 Women Faculty in 2016 for CLE on trademark law.
- Here Comes Trouble (www.herecomestrouble4kids.com), Composer and lead singer of 5-piece award-winning family-friendly “kindie” rock band; perform at festivals, clubs, schools, community centers; national radio airplay.