As a former FERC Commissioner, a Chairman and Commissioner of the North Dakota Public Service Commission, a former President of the National Association of Regulatory Utilities Commissioners, the Labor Commissioner of North Dakota, and a member of the North Dakota House of Representatives, Tony is a nationally recognized thought leader in energy policy who draws on years of government service to provide clients with analysis and strategic advice on a variety regulatory and public policy matters affecting their businesses. His tenure on the North Dakota Commission coincided with the state’s historic emergence as a leader in energy production.
He primarily works with clients in the energy and telecommunications industries, speaking frequently before groups regarding the state of the utility industry and the public policies that impact it. He has also testified multiple times before Committees of the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House, state legislators and regulatory commissioners.
Tony Clark provides clients with expert analysis and strategic advice on regulatory matters affecting their businesses. His clients include entities engaged in the production, and delivery of energy, and regulated telecommunications companies. In addition to providing inward-facing consulting services, he has represented client interests as a subject matter exert before regulatory agencies and state legislatures. Having served as both a state and federal regulatory commissioner, and as a former President of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners, Mr. Clark brings an unparalleled understanding of the nexus of state and federal utility regulation.
Honors and Leadership Positions
- Energy Professional Member of the Energy Bar Association
- Commissioner Emeritus, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners
- Former Advisory Council Member, Electric Power Research Institute
- Distinguished Eagle Scout
- Clark, Tony; Gifford, Raymond; Larson, Matthew, “It’s time for emergent markets to take center stage in non-RTO regions of the country” (Utility Dive — July 27, 2020)
- Clark, Tony, “Hard truths about net metering and the perils of regulatory nihilism” (Utility Dive — June 24, 2020)
- Clark, Tony; Gifford, Raymond, “One of These Things Is Not Like the Other” (Inside Sources.com — June 23, 2020)
- Clark, Tony; Larson, Matthew; Gifford, Raymond, “COVID-19 and Critical Infrastructure Part II: Regulatory Stability for the Future” (WBK White Paper — June 2020)
- Clark, Tony; Gifford, Raymond; Larson, Matthew; Miller, Michael; Nelson, Michael “COVID-19 and Critical Infrastructure: An Agenda for Decisive State Regulatory Action” (WBK White Paper — April 2020)
- Tony Clark is the author of Order No. 1000 at the Crossroads: Reflections on the Rule and Its Future, a paper released by the Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP law firm on April 16, 2018.
- Tony Clark is the author of Regulation and Markets: Ideas for Solving the Identity Crisis, a paper released by the Wilkinson Barker Knauer, LLP law firm on July 14, 2017.
Speeches and Presentations
Tony is a frequent speaker and moderator before groups as diverse as regulators, state and federal legislators, industry experts and the financial/investment community. He discusses how the complex world of regulation and public policy affects the energy industry. Representative sample of the groups he has appeared before:
- US House of Representatives Committee on Energy & Commerce
- The National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners and its regional affiliates
- National Conference of State Legislatures
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- National Rural Electric Cooperative Association – Regions 1 & 4
- Society of Utility Regulatory Financial Analysts
- Rocky Mountain Energy Bar Association
- Financial Research Institute at the University of Missouri
- EmpowerND Great Plains Energy Conference
- North Dakota Chamber of Commerce Policy Summit
- Organization of PJM States, Inc.
- Organization of MISO States